Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 3

Some birthday folks, I just have to write about. Like Jake Shears of the Scissor Sisters, which have a hometown connection for me. Jake's not from Lexington; his co-conspirator, Scott "Babydaddy" Hoffman, is, but Scott's birthday was September 1, so I missed that opportunity. Anyway, the band's 20 percent Kentucky, so I kinda gotta make some noise.
Fortunately, I dig their sound, 21st century glamdance that goes over so much better in Europe than on this side of the pond. Their third album comes out next year, and it might be the charm. Meanwhile, here's their biggest single so far, a tune co-written with Elton John: "I Don't Feel Like Dancing"

If you think Montgomery Gentry and John Michael Montgomery are better musical exports, I found a bluegrass version of "...Dancin'" for you.

Sometimes, my obligations are familial. I can't imagine a reason that anyone that would read this blog would not have heard of Gwen Stefani. Heck, I can't spell "Bananas" without thinking of her. I have a couple of readers who already think the world deserves a Gwen Stefani day, so I have to observe it.
Again, this isn't twisting my arm much. I dig the No Doubt, and so does Gwen, apparently; in recent interviews, she's said that her solo career is done, and it's all about No Doubt now.
Also, I must continue to convince my ill-informed friend; yes, that was Gwen Stefani touring with the band this year, not a 'thick' look-a-like. Observe the band on their comeback tour, performing "Tragic Kingdom".

Man, now I'm fantasizing about a thick Gwen Stefani...
Oh, since the tour's over, the real trial-by-fire begins: will No Doubt make a decent new record? We should know in about two years...

Sometimes, it's reasons you can't justify, it just has to be done. Why Greg Proops? I mean, he's a funny guy, proved he can be funny on the fly for years now.
Maybe it's all those episodes of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" Or maybe his appearance in "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" as the comprehensible podrace announcer...
Maybe it's the name. Silly, really... I just like saying it... "Greg"; Hilarious...
I found this clip of his first appearance on "Whose Line," back when it was only in Britain. Can't believe it's been twenty years...

Like many "Whose Line" alumni, his latest hat to wear will be "game show host"; he'll be reading the questions on "Head Games" on the Science Channel starting this month...

Finally, sometimes you write about somebody because it's why you do what you do.
Alan O'Day is a prolific songwriter who became a one-hit wonder in 1977, with teh #1 hit "Undercover Angel." Most people born after 1977 heard it again with the "Charlie's Angels" movie soundtrack. I heard it mostly in high rotation during the first two months of the launch of an automated oldies station for the St Louis market that shall remain nameless. But I digress...
Alan O'Day may fit the definition of one-hit wonder, but he's no slouch. He spent most of the 70's writing songs for others to sing; artists like Helen Reddy, Cher, and the Righteous Brothers took his songs up the charts. In the 80's, he returned to writing music for films and television shows. For the Muppet Babies cartoon series, he wrote over 100 songs.
But since I couldn't pinpoint any of those, I'll pitch in this fanvid for the 70's "Charlie's Angels" series, set to the music of "Undercover Angel"

Had to do it, even if Too Sweet For Rock n Roll is almost guaranteed to feature him and his sole chart-topper. But I ain't made at her; Too Sweet is a semi-authoritative and sweet-looking resource for pop music celebrity birthdays. A must read, if you love the music...

Haven't said in a while: if there's anyone you think deserves featuring, drop me a line at theleroygrey@gmail.com Otherwise, Happy Birthday to you, whenever it is...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the shout out! I love what you're doing here! :)

    ReplyDelete