Monday, October 12, 2009

October 12

Happy Birthday to Sam Moore, of Sam and Dave. I hope that doesn't bother him, after all these years. The duo broke up in 1981, but soul music aficionados know Sam Moore as half of the duo that sang "Soul Man" and "Hold On I'm Coming." He recorded a solo album in 1971, but it didn't see the light of day for almost 30 years. He had his 'legacy' CD (seems every Hall Of Fame-eligible singer has a Grammy-baiting, star-studded album) in 2006, produced by Randy Jackson. (Yup; nominated.)

I'll always think of Sam Moore as half of a whole. Two things come to mind when I hear his name: his duet with Conway Twitty on "Rainy Night in Georgia..."
(the link I found is from the Netherlands, so it may take a while to get to you...)

and his appearance in Tapeheads, as half of the Swanky Modes.


Happy Birthday, soul man...

No comments:

Post a Comment