Wednesday, September 23, 2009

september 30

Happy Birthday to Robby Takac, bassist for the Goo Goo Dolls. He's a busy guy when he's not with the Goos; he runs the band's recording studio, oversees his own record label, and serves on the board of trustees of his hometown college. Also, he's a Pez aficionado; he was a featured interviewee in the 2006 documentary, "PEZheads."
2010 should see a new Goo Goo Dolls album, and a new Nightmare on Elm Street movie, coincidentally. That's a good enough reason to play the Goos' song for the "Freddy's Dead" soundtrack, "I'm Awake Now"


Okay, I have no idea who Renato Zero is. He's some Italian singer that's been around forever, apparently. And if I only had this 70's TV clip to go by, I'd have to wager that Italy is one of the moons of Jupiter.

Actually, he's one of Italy's most successful pop artists. He gave up the leotards shortly after the death of glam rock. These days, he looks like Julio Iglesias with a dab of Freddie Mercury.


Happy Birthday to Ryan Stout - the stand-up comedian, not the cagefighter.
I love me some stand-up comedy; on a cross-country drive, it's better at keeping me alert than a pot of coffee. Stout's style has a Jim Gaffigan/Larry Miller vibe, if that's any help to you. Or you can watch this clip:
Live at Gotham
Ryan Stout - Labels
www.comedycentral.com
Joke of the DayStand-Up ComedyFree Online Games


It's my dad's birthday, so let me feature somebody he'd dig: 80's jazz-pop starlet Basia. This Polish chanteuse had a hatful of hits before hanging up that hat in 1998. Wouldn't you know it; she's back with a new album this year!
But I'll stick with something familiar: the title track of her breakthrough slbum, Time and Tide:


Happy Birthday, Dad. And Happy Birthday to you, whenever you are...

No comments:

Post a Comment