Sunday, March 28, 2010

March 28

My prejudice toward country music has taken a few years to fade; most of the time, the music seems like jingles for a way of life I have no interest in. I've found country music that I like in waves: Roy Rogers, Johnny Cash's American Recordings, "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"...
And then there's "If You're Going Through Hell...", performed by Rodney Atkins, really the first song I unapologetically admit that I like. Sure, it's a typical industry production: bought from three other songwriters, typical studio production, a music video that could be and probably was the visuals for a hundred other songs... But the lyrics make me want to sing along. Guess it's where I am in my life. How many country songs are built off quotes by Winston Churchill?
True, Corey Hart made "Never Surrender" into a pop song...

No comments:

Post a Comment