Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December 17

Oh, man. Today's choice was a no-brainer for me: how about the toughest Filipino in the world, Manny Pacquiao. With a 50-3 record, he's the only boxer to take the title in 7 different weight classes. In fact, some analysts have ranked him as, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the world. The other analysts are waiting until March, when Pacquiao will meet the other reputed pound-for-pound best fighter in the world, Floyd Mayweather Jr.
I prefer my fights staged for movie cameras, as opposed to people beating the living snot out of each other, but I gotta root for Pacquiao. He's kind of my Jim Thorpe or Arthur Ashe. I got a Filipino tan, from my mother's side. For every one person that successfully guesses so, I got fistfuls of people who think I'm Mexican, Thai, Pakistani, Indian, indian (of an indeterminate tribe), Columbian, Afghani... Movies aren't much help; the only mentions of Filipinos in films are punchlines for sex jokes. I'm happy to be able to point out somebody and say, "Yeah, that's a Filipino, like me." I can't say what type of movie star or politician he'll be, but at least he's a better example than, say, Ferdinand Marcos or Rob Schneider.
YouTube's acting funny tonight, but at least DailyMotion's got this posting of Pacquiao's "greatest hits". It's a decent way to get up to speed on why everybody's so excited about 'Pac-man'.

No comments:

Post a Comment