Saturday, November 28, 2009

November 28

Again, taking it easy on the holiday. Today's birthday boy is Randy Newman, the Johnathan Swift of the piano. If you're under 30, you probably know his Disney/Pixar songs the best. His first Oscar win happened on his 16th nomination, which provoked, IMHO, the best reaction to receiving an Oscar ever: he stepped up to the podium and said, "I don't need your pity!" If you're old enough to remember the 80's, you might remember songs like "I Love LA" or "Short People".
I found this clip where he name-drops my (current) home state, so it's the clip for today. If it auto-starts or repeat plays, I apologize. First time using the MUZU database...

UPDATE: That was the last time using the MUZU database... for this column anyway. Here's that Randy Newman track...

No comments:

Post a Comment