Tuesday, November 3, 2009

November 3

Lots of great birthdays today; days like this, I defer to the ukelele players. Jake Shimabukuro is recognized as a ukelele virtuoso; he's lightning-fast on the strings, and he's fearlessly exploring the versatility of the instrument (he currently plays a custom-built electric.) He occasionally tours with Jimmy Buffett and he's jammbed with Yo-Yo Ma, but he's mostly busy with his solo work. He's big in Japan; he tours frequently, he's written music scores for two Japanese films, and what would probably be my favorite CD, his all-Beatles covers album Across the Universe, is a Japan-only import that goes for $40 bucks stateside.

Oh, well... at least I have "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I first learned about Shimabukuro years ago, when I stumbled upon this instructional clip of him in Central Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment