Saturday, February 20, 2010

February 20

I know, I know. Less Pauls and more Ringos, I know. But I can't help mentioning Joel Hodgson birthday, even if he is the pater familias of Mystery Science Theater 3000. He's got plenty of love; what about J Elvis Mitchell or Bridget Nelson? Well, Joel's just too big a deal to me personally. Not just in his style of humor, but in his philosophy about commericalizing his art...
...for the most part. I have to admit, I'm still on the fence about Cinematic Titanic. On the one hand, it's the old masters re-engineering the comedy routine they created, with a better compensation plan for themselves. On the other hand, if it didn't seem derivative enough of MST3K, they're also a few years behind RiffTrax, which had been up to that point, the resumption of the MST legacy. They're oranges and clementines for most, but still...
Aw, heck, I'd still go see them if they were in town. Here's a clip from "East Meets Watts", before a live audience:

No comments:

Post a Comment