Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 30

Today is the birthday of Matisyahu, a Hasidic Jewish reggae artist, and probably one of the artists I most admire today.

He's the most vital reggae artist since Bob. He expresses and sings about his faith without hesitation, but he's not trying to convert the world to his way of thinking. He's more like Youssou N'Dour or Johnny Cash: musicians sharing their own spiritual journeys, and pointing out the common ground between all souls, regardless of church or musical preference.

He's probably bigger than I need to feature here, but I really think the world is just beginning to discover him. "One Day" got lots of play in the Winter Olympics and the World Cup, but his best is yet to come.
Meanwhile I found a clip from this reggae compilation of Disney songs. I'm even going to run out and get this album:

No comments:

Post a Comment